Glassblowing in Murano?!?!?

This actually happened.

As I wrote previously in the bochinche update, my dear husband Octo was studying in Spain for about 7 months recently.  I was very lucky to be able to visit him over the Christmas break and also to travel.  We went to Venice, Paris, Copenhagen, and of course Barcelona.  We took soooo many pictures and compiled a small Facebook album.  Honestly it was a beautiful trip, like a second honeymoon.
Octo took about a thousand pictures of me in Murano at the glassblowing class I was able to take!  He did so well.  Those pictures I reserved for this blog and didn't touch them until now.

This actually happened.  It's been about 8 months and it's still pretty much surreal to me.

Obviously going to Murano was a dream of mine, but I never expected to be able to take a class.  I just kind of expected to watch demonstrations and get to know the place and maybe purchase some glass.  I only scheduled to be there for 3 nights.

Also, I didn't realize how long a class would be or how much practice I needed to understand each concept. ... One day I'll go and be there for like a month as I should.

Davide Penso was gracious enough to schedule me in for a class on December 21st.

Davide was basically born with a torch in his hands in Murano.  I explained to him that I was an "advanced beginner" and basically learned everything through trial and error.  He described my form as wild but confident enough with the medium that he wouldn't correct me too much.  We went straight to glassblowing.


He demonstrated and explained a few times and basically let me get to work.  Guiding me along the way.


One of the first awesome things he taught me was how to swing and hold the cane to blow.


Blowing was/is extremely challenging for me.  I would blow my lungs out and no bubble would come out.


And I would have to reheat...


Davide would start yelling at me to blow or the glass would get cold.


Sufla sufla sufla!!!    ...Es frío. 


Davide's assistant Corina was also working there with me and she was lovely.




SUFLA!



Es frio. 




You can tell it's really hot when it glows like this.


Then you make the neck with the scissors.


And blow again.




Hours later...  check out all of my attempts on the table..

Davide was also working, and we were having great laughs listening to Will Smith music from like all of his movies...


It was pretty much hilarious.




Here you can see all of the balls I'd made, both good and terrible, broken, etc.  And Davide's store in the background.  If you're ever in Venice, you must check it out.  He's right in front of the Museum's Vaporetto stop.  Also if you click here you can Google Maps it.



Click to enlarge.




Removing from cane on hot fingers...


Yes I actually have my hair down and am wearing like 4 layers of clothing.  These pics are from December 22nd, Davide said I could come again the next day until noon.  I was soooo hooked.  That night I barely slept.


Davide smiling and doing demos.  I love him so much!!


Silver foil.




And... That's it!

Here we are together at the end and Davide is all fancy because he's going to his children's Christmas event afterwards.  His work behind us, is so incredibleee..  He made us a blue glass which we treasure so muchhh.


And here are some pictures of Venice and Murano that I took.



Venice is ridiculously good looking.


Photo in front of the glass museum in Murano.  Can you spot the murder scene?



Just gorgeous.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave anonymous comments. As long as you sign your name, all sarcastic remarks are welcome. :) Thankssss