Lampworking day #2 / Sabado de censo.

The writing of this post is kind of like what I used to write in my art sketchbook in highschool.  This post is more technical.  The purpose is to track my progress.

The madness begins again!  All pictures of me at work are courtesy of my mom. 




Annndddd... I made my first bead!  At the time I thought the shape was charming... Now it just makes me laugh. 

Feel free to laugh too...


I think I found a new love.

Troubleshooting with that last bead:  In the middle of making it the bead came off the mandrel by itself!  (That's mainly why I settled for the shape)  I'm still trying to figure out the deal with the bead-release.  My dad (surprizingly helpful yesterday) said I had too much bead release on the mandrel but I'm thinking there is more to it - I think there's something to do with the timing of when the mandrel/bead-release is heated with relation to when the glass becomes attached to it...

With these next beads they were actually beautiful but then I stuck them straight into the fiberglass bed and they squished and got that awful texture.  Also it was almost impossible to get them off the mandrels.  My dad held the mandrel with one plier in each hand while I twisted the bead with all of my strength.  Eventually the beads came off but my hands are destroyed.


I love watching how the glass changes colors as it cools.
I LOVE the shape of this next bead :)  And I love the shapes inside!  It reminds me of the marbles I played with as a child. 


The next picture is of the whole studio.  My dad painting and me torching a bead.  The painting behind me is by my dad, but he doesn't really paint like that.  He's just done the one painting.  His style is pretty much what he's working on in this picture.  The wooden door is supposed to be for my brother's room but nobody's gotten around to sanding/finishing it...   We are so eclectic.  Rofl.


Yesterday was Panama's censo and the person came right when I was in the middle of making this next bead...  I wish I'd been able to play more with it's shape but I was nervous to make the lady wait.  I do like the depth inside though.

(That bead is tiny!  Like a cm long)

I'm actually enamored with these two beads and a third one that looks like them too but is currently stuck on a mandrel: 


The sad thing as you can see is that they are all cracked. 


I haven't figured out the deal with annealing - frankly because I thought I could get away with not doing it but now I'm regretting that assumption...  I'll have to do some research on that. 


I'm sorry for the lousy picture, I took these at night under a lamp and it doesn't look as cool.  (By the way NONE of my pictures are photoshopped in this post - I just can't be bothered right now.  Too busy studying and trialing and erroring)

Anyway I really loved this bead!  The colors aren't amazing to me as I'm basically just playing around to learn and don't want to use up the colors I like the most yet.  Also I made this bead with parts of the broken disaster from the previous post.  I'm a believer of recycling.


...But it broke as soon as it was taken off the mandrel.


Doesn't it kind of look like it has murrini in it?

FML!!!  So yeah you live you learn. 


Then I ran out of prepared mandrels, so I went ahead and prepared all of the mandrels I own. 


Then I decided to give murrini's another try. 


HUGE DISASTER!!!  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stretch it.  I will watch some more YouTube.  

I cut it up to see what was inside anyway.


Yeah not amazing, again, but a teeeeny bit better than the ones from the previous post.  ...I think???  Yeah.  They're terrible.  :( 

If at first you don't succeed - try!  Try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave anonymous comments. As long as you sign your name, all sarcastic remarks are welcome. :) Thankssss